Today, there are just a few things about which I want to raise your awareness. If there is something I have learned from the Digging Deeper study that many of you are doing, it’s that we accomplish a lot more…grow a lot more… when we communicate with those who are likeminded. So today –just some stuff that, depending on where you live and what you are studying, may be of interest to you.
- The Digging Deeper lessons from which the ladies’ study originated are available on audio and video at www.polishingthepulpit.com. To get the Digging Deeper audio set of four lessons, you may have to call the number on the website. The others should be available online. If you want to check out the study, itself, you can read about it in a couple of previous posts on this blog or check out the facebook group “Digging Deeper in God’s Word.”
- Something I didn’t know is that the video lessons from all of PTP (including all of the ladies sessions) are now available at the www.polishingthepulpit.com for six dollars each. I am very excited about the availability of these speeches as I had to miss a lot of sessions that I very much want to hear.
- Here are some upcoming ladies’ days that would be worth your time if you are in these areas:
- The Oliver Spring church of Christ in Oliver Springs, Tennessee, will host a Ladies Day on Saturday, September 10. Dolly Leighton will be the guest speaker on the theme of “Falling Into Faith.” Lunch will be provided. Registration starts at 9 a.m. and the program will start at 10 a.m.
- The Karns church of Christ in Knoxville, Tennessee: “For Such A Time As This” is the theme of our Ladies Day on Saturday, September 24th. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. and the program will be from 9 a.m.—12 noon, at which time lunch will be provided. Our guest speaker will be Dr. Belinda Anderson from Henderson, TN. Steve Higginbotham is the preacher here.
- The ladies of Sevierville church of Christ in Sevierville, Tennessee, will be hosting a Ladies Day with Peggy Pharr on October 8th. The theme is “Pass It On.” Registration starts at 9 a.m. with the program starting at 9:30 a.m. Lunch will be served.
- Ladies Day at the Jacksonville Church in Jacksonville, AL. Registration: 8:30-9:00 AM. Date: September 17, 2011. Theme: “Keeping Things Sweet and Simple”. Speaker: Cindy Colley
- Ladies’ Day at the Miami Church in Miami, OK. Speakers: Cindy Colley and Hannah Colley Giselbach. September 24, 2011
And finally, a couple more Bible study tips from readers. Thanks to all who responded to this Bible study post.
Here is my best tip. First I should say that I am a full time full Professor of Communication and a Ph.D. So, I find it best to approach my Bible study with the same vigor as I do my PhD work. A simple “good/best” tip for me is “sticky notes.” That sounds strange, but I color code the information as I sit with my Strong’s, dictionaries, etc. and color code the verses with the sticky note color that corresponds with the idea of the study. It helps me keep track of the information easily and allows me to “mind map” it as I study for easy retention.— Tracy Frederick, Winfield, KS
I limit the amount of scripture to a reasonable amount (1 chapter or event) and I read the passage, refer to any related passages and also break down each verse by determining answers to several questions: who, what, when, where, why & how. Also addressing pronouns and figuring out who they refer back to is very helpful. Many times this ties several verses together in a way that is focused and more understandable as a whole.
My other tip is to keep in mind events and people in chronological order instead of just the order that the books are assigned. Hope this helps!— Susan Olinger