Today, there are just a few things about which I want to raise your awareness. If there is something I have learned from the Digging Deeper study that many of you are doing, it’s that we accomplish a lot more…grow a lot more… when we communicate with those who are likeminded. So today –just some stuff that, depending on where you live and what you are studying, may be of interest to you.
- The Digging Deeper lessons from which the ladies’ study originated are available on audio and video at www.polishingthepulpit.com. To get the Digging Deeper audio set of four lessons, you may have to call the number on the website. The others should be available online. If you want to check out the study, itself, you can read about it in a couple of previous posts on this blog or check out the facebook group “Digging Deeper in God’s Word.”
- Something I didn’t know is that the video lessons from all of PTP (including all of the ladies sessions) are now available at the www.polishingthepulpit.com for six dollars each. I am very excited about the availability of these speeches as I had to miss a lot of sessions that I very much want to hear.
- Here are some upcoming ladies’ days that would be worth your time if you are in these areas:
- The Oliver Spring church of Christ in Oliver Springs, Tennessee, will host a Ladies Day on Saturday, September 10. Dolly Leighton will be the guest speaker on the theme of “Falling Into Faith.” Lunch will be provided. Registration starts at 9 a.m. and the program will start at 10 a.m.
- The Karns church of Christ in Knoxville, Tennessee: “For Such A Time As This” is the theme of our Ladies Day on Saturday, September 24th. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. and the program will be from 9 a.m.—12 noon, at which time lunch will be provided. Our guest speaker will be Dr. Belinda Anderson from Henderson, TN. Steve Higginbotham is the preacher here.
- The ladies of Sevierville church of Christ in Sevierville, Tennessee, will be hosting a Ladies Day with Peggy Pharr on October 8th. The theme is “Pass It On.” Registration starts at 9 a.m. with the program starting at 9:30 a.m. Lunch will be served.
- Ladies Day at the Jacksonville Church in Jacksonville, AL. Registration: 8:30-9:00 AM. Date: September 17, 2011. Theme: “Keeping Things Sweet and Simple”. Speaker: Cindy Colley
- Ladies’ Day at the Miami Church in Miami, OK. Speakers: Cindy Colley and Hannah Colley Giselbach. September 24, 2011
And finally, a couple more Bible study tips from readers. Thanks to all who responded to this Bible study post.
Here is my best tip. First I should say that I am a full time full Professor of Communication and a Ph.D. So, I find it best to approach my Bible study with the same vigor as I do my PhD work. A simple “good/best” tip for me is “sticky notes.” That sounds strange, but I color code the information as I sit with my Strong’s, dictionaries, etc. and color code the verses with the sticky note color that corresponds with the idea of the study. It helps me keep track of the information easily and allows me to “mind map” it as I study for easy retention.— Tracy Frederick, Winfield, KS
I limit the amount of scripture to a reasonable amount (1 chapter or event) and I read the passage, refer to any related passages and also break down each verse by determining answers to several questions: who, what, when, where, why & how. Also addressing pronouns and figuring out who they refer back to is very helpful. Many times this ties several verses together in a way that is focused and more understandable as a whole.
My other tip is to keep in mind events and people in chronological order instead of just the order that the books are assigned. Hope this helps!— Susan Olinger
It was the first big extra event at the new location of the West Huntsville Church of Christ at Providence. There were 331 ladies (that number would include a few children) assembled to learn better how to militate against the forces that would steal the joy of Christianity from our homes and infiltrate for evil the precious souls of our children. It was 2.25 hours of intense teaching and the rest of the day was spent in singing, prayer and sweet fellowship. It was just the best ever kind of day. It was the best because it drew us together in a common determination to win this war against a culture given over to immorality. It was the best because its influence will penetrate lives not even present in years not yet upon us. Its full impact for good cannot be known this side of eternity. I know if you were present and left without a blessing, you did not bring your blessing bucket with you.
If you did not come, get out your blessing bucket now and take the time to listen to the lessons given by Sheila Butt at the “This is WAR!” seminar Saturday. Just click on the link, turn up the volume and enrich your life.
If you would like to order an audio CD or a professional DVD of these lessons the prices are as follows:
Set of all three audio CDs – $ 5.50
Set of videos on one DVD – $ 4.00
These prices include postage. Simple specify which items (CDs or DVDs) you want, specify how many of each you would like, and enclose your check. Send this order to West Huntsville Church of Christ at Providence, 1519 Old Monrovia Road, Huntsville, AL 35806. We will expedite your orders as quickly as we can. It’s our prayer that these lessons can do much good, for many people, for the lowest possible cost. That’s why we are offering these lessons at cost. So let’s get the word out. While we are at it, let’s get in the Word. Find below the link some of the suggestions submitted in a recent BYH contest for digging deeply in the Word.
“My tool for deep bible study is a combo of God’s Word and wise men of God with much knowledge and insight! Or wise women of God!”—Stacy Nance, Arlington, TN,
“My favorite deep Bible study tip is to get denominational literature and pamphlets then study and write out how to discuss the content of that literature with someone who gave it to you. Lots of issues are brought up that I wouldn’t typically think or study on without them being discussed in these pamphlets. When we lived in Smithville, TN the local circular ran a spot by a seventh day adventist group and I would read it every week then get into the scriptures to really study on the points that were discussed. I also like when I can get my hands on a Watchtower or something so I feel prepared for that knock on my door.”—Gina Simpson.
Today I am really soaking up the fellowship and feasting at a program called Polishing the Pulpit in Sevierville, TN. About 2400 people have assembled (or at least been present for part/all) for PTP and the singing is incredible. It must be a preview of the soundtrack of heaven! There has been lots of interest expressed here in our West Huntsville ladies seminar to be held on August 27th. We’ve entitled that seminar “This is War” because we are angry at the devil for his no-holds-barred-all-out-attack on our families and we are ready to shout, “…Over our dead bodies are you going to get into the hearts of our husbands and children and destroy our families.” Come hear practical ways to protect your family from immodesty, pornography, indecent forms of entertainment and the insatiable desire for material things that our culture feeds. There really may be something on the spiritual table at this seminar that can prevent disaster in your home at some point down the road. For some, it’s later than we may think. The information is below. Our ladies are working hard to make this available, extremely relevant, and cost effective (no charge for anything including housing). Only you can make it effective for your family. The deadline was officially yesterday, but consider this your special “Bless Your Heart” extension. Register today.
The post today is written in anticipation of an event that can be a great tool for your family’s defeat of the devil’s attacks on your home. On August 27, 2011, the ladies of the West Huntsville Church of Christ are hosting a seminar for all women who are angry at the devil’s attacks on our homes. We are tired of fighting him, but remain relentless. We are sick of his subtle infiltrations into our homes, but we are far from ready to relinquish precious souls. When we look at statistics about his successes in addicting America’s boys to pornography, involving her young teens in oral sex, saturating her media with sexual images and filthy language, destroying her respect for the sanctity of life and marriage, and promoting the homosexual agenda in her culture, we are a bit terrorized by his prowess. But these are our marriages, our children and our eternal souls for which we battle! We are just far from waving any white flags! If you are with us, save the date. Come be encouraged, enlightened and enabled to, in the words of Scripture, STAND against the wiles of the devil (Eph. 6:11). We will specifically address:
- battling pornography
- the relevancy of modest dress
- adultery protection for your home
- media dangers and what you can do
- kids and sexual over-exposure
- when you think you are the only one
- entertainment choices
Here’s what you need to know for now:
If you can bring a group of ladies to Huntsville, AL on August 14th, you will be blessed for the trip. It’s our annual ladies day; this year featuring speaker Ursula Torbett from Spartanburg, SC. We’ll be talking about “The Salt of the Earth” and enjoying brunch and fun together in between the study sessions. It all happens at the West Huntsville church of Christ at 1303 Evangel Drive in Huntsville beginning at 8:30 am and concluding shortly after noon. Let us know if you live far from Huntsville and want to make it a road trip. We’ll help you with logistics and may even have some housing left to offer you. Call (256) 837-8730 to make your reservations. There is no charge for any of the day’s activities.