In case you want to put this list with your Digging Deep notes for the month of March, here’s a list of Jeremiah’s persecutions and his reactions to the trials inflicted. This article by Wayne Jackson gave us the basic list: https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/747-marvelous-book-of-jeremiah-the….Then we searched for Jeremiah’s responses.) May we be modern-day ‘Jeremiah’s in the, thus far, relatively benign situations of persecution. Stay tuned, though. Our faith is putting us in some pretty vulnerable places. Our God is still ‘with us to deliver us’ (Jeremiah 1:8).
- People desired his life (11: 18-20)….He took his case to God in prayer (vs. 20)
- His countrymen turned against him (12:6)
- False prophets contradicted him…. (15:10)….He begged for personal exemption from the punishments (15:15-18).
- He was hit, put in stocks and denounced (chapter20)….He HAD to keep on speaking (vs. 9).
- His heart was broken (23:9)….He reflected on God’s sovereignty (vs. 13-20).
- He was seized and threatened with death (26:8-24)….He spoke more boldly (vs. 12-15).
- His teachings were strongly and visibly opposed (ch. 28)….Jeremiah spoke all the more boldly and pointedly (vs. 12-17)
- He was imprisoned (32:2,3)….He listened to the words of the Lord (32:6).
- The king burned the roll of prophecy (36:23)
- He was chased (36:26)….God hid him and he made a new roll in place of the one burned by the king (vs. 26, 27)
- He was beaten and imprisoned (37:15)….After many days in prison, when he was called out, he spoke as boldly as ever (vs. 17).
- He was thrown in the dungeon without food and he sunk in the mire (38:6)….He came out speaking truth (vs. 17,18).
- He was bound in chains (40:1)….He went straight to the governor with God’s truth (40:7-16).
- He was falsely accused and taken, with the captives, to Egypt (43:2)…He continued to speak truth to the captives in Judah and to the Egyptian captors, as well. Fearless. (ch.44, 46).